The Atlanta Metropolis Council permitted laws Oct. 19 to merge its troubled job coaching program, WorkSource Atlanta, with its financial improvement arm, Make investments Atlanta.
The council permitted an intergovernmental settlement between town and Make investments Atlanta to take over this system designed to coach at-risk youth, laid-off staff, chronically unemployed, and disabled for the workforce.
WorkSource has been stricken by accusations of mismanagement and mishandling of cash for years. An audit in March confirmed 1000’s of in unauthorized spending.
Make investments Atlanta officers mentioned they might supply extra oversight and streamline the method of connecting individuals and jobs.
Different objects permitted Monday embrace:
• The Council additionally adopted laws urging the Georgia Normal Meeting to enact Home Decision 5309, generally often known as the Making a Respectful and Open World for Pure Hair (CROWN) Act to ban discrimination in employment in opposition to pure or protecting hairstyles. The Home invoice seeks to ban discrimination primarily based on an individual’s coiffure or hair texture if the coiffure or texture is often related to a selected race or nationwide origin.
• An ordinance to amend the Metropolis’s Zoning Ordinance to create a definition of a “social gathering home,” set up rules by which social gathering homes might function, and prohibit “social gathering homes” in residential districts.
• A decision to just accept the suggestions of the Mayor’s Police Use of Drive Advisory Council as outlined within the group’s last report. The laws additionally establishes a course of for a sequence of labor classes to be convened by the Council’s Public Security and Authorized Administration Committee to evaluate and focus on implementing the suggestions.
• A decision to ascertain a job power to find out an acceptable method by which to honor Hank Aaron, John Lewis, Joseph E. Lowery, C.T. Vivian and Andrew Younger for being recipients of the Presidential Medal of Freedom.
A number of objects have been launched that might be thought-about in committee subsequent week, together with:
• An ordinance to guard Atlanta’s legacy residents and prohibit the predatory techniques used to harass householders into promoting their property and changing into the victims of fairness theft.
• An ordinance amending the Metropolis of Atlanta Code of Ordinances to require the detention of a defendant till the preliminary look listening to for sure vehicular offenses associated to avenue racing which create risks to individuals or property.
• An ordinance to supply for the regulation and taxation of short-term leases inside Atlanta.
• A decision requesting the Metropolis’s Division of Transportation commissioner develop a avenue lighting plan within the curiosity of selling security alongside metropolis streets.
• A decision requesting the Metropolis’s Division of Transportation commissioner develop a sidewalk grasp plan which can prioritize the set up of sidewalks in high-injury areas, on streets the place mass transit is offered, and every other extremely traveled corridors of town.
• A decision requesting the Metropolis’s Division of Transportation commissioner conduct a examine to find out the feasibility of creating a program to coach and rent Metropolis workers for transportation infrastructure-related job alternatives.
• A decision requesting the Metropolis of Atlanta’s Division of Human Sources work with all Metropolis departments to develop a preliminary plan that will define alternatives for eligible Metropolis of Atlanta workers to work remotely submit the COVID-19 pandemic.